Like Us on facebook

Search This Blog

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Don't Let That Smell Fool Ya, He's Still A Customer


Working in the Healthcare industry you come across different types of situations. In fact, working in sales in any industry you come across unique individuals with varied tastes and personal aromas. However we all have to adapt if we want to overcome this type of "objection".

Yesterday was once such situation, where I was in a hospital and speaking with a doctor whom I'd never met before. He was well spoken, wore a suit, and seemed funny and affable, but I kept getting this distinct smell coming from him as we spoke. My first thought was, "Oh my god someone shit their pants." While this is not uncommon to come across patients who are incontinent, it's rare for me to encounter a doctor who has the same condition. So naturally, I thought I was the culprit.

When your in a situation like that, how do you excuse yourself to check?
"Excuse me it smells really bad in here, I need to check my drawers. I'll be right back."
" Wow something smells really bad and I think it might be me!"

I excused myself and went to the bathroom, knowing full well it wasn't me, but just checking to be sure. In addition I cleared my head and came back to finish my discussion with the doctor. As we talked again about the condition of his patient, the smell returned and this time I could tell it was not me. In fact after looking at the doctor and his suit, I could tell personal hygiene was not high on his priority list. As we spoke at length in regards to how we could work on improving the patient's outcome, I realized that maybe he was incontinent. A nurse was also engaged in the conversation and when we finished she said, "I saw the look on your face. First time speaking with him huh?"
"Yeah why do you ask."
"His nickname on the floor is Dr. Poop, cause he always smells like shit."
My response, "Good thing he's not a proctologist."

In any case, I endured the smell because I was able to make a new contact and build some rapport. And whether he smells or not, I don't care as long as he buys from me!

M

No comments:

Post a Comment