Like Us on facebook

Search This Blog

Monday, October 11, 2010

Dear Sales Diary - Is that a purse?


As usual today was one of those days where the contact didn't know me in an account, and so I had to introduce myself. It's always difficult getting people to like you immediately, but I've always found humor to be a good ice breaker. It seems to put people at ease if you can make fun of yourself. Even in very stressful situations.


So today, I met with a Nursing Director who was instantly as cold as ice when she shook my hand. In fact, her hand was freezing and I swear I saw ice forming on her hair and over her shoulders. Her blood must have been made of liquid nitrogen, because as she said "hello", I thought I saw the letters of the word billowing out from her lips in icy pillows the way dry ice "smokes".So in order to deflect the Ice Princess, I had to change the call quickly. I looked around for something to comment on, and saw a whole line of weird little purses positioned on her window sill.
"Okay mister....uh whatever. I don't have a lot of time. So what company do you work for again?", she said.
" Does it matter?", I answered and she looked shock.
" The more important question is this. Are those really purses up there on your window sill?"
She looked at me and I smiled and then she began laughing hysterically.
"Those are the weirdest looking purses I've ever seen.", I said, and she continued to laugh.
" Those are ceramic vases made into the shape of a purse. My daughter's an artist. I can't believe you thought they were real. That's great. What did you say your name was again and how can I help you?"
Game over. One little endearing joke and the Ice Princess warmed up. And I was sincere too. I didn't know what the hell those things were and it would've bugged me through the whole call. Glad I asked. Make sure to keep people at ease and keep'em laughing.
-M

No comments:

Post a Comment