Like Us on facebook

Search This Blog

Monday, April 18, 2011

" I'm Out To Lunch "



I get so frustrated some times with this job, especially when dealing with small accounts. It's the small accounts that I find the most difficult to deal with in most sales jobs. Why? Because they have a lot of the same things in common:

1.) They're cheap-These people would recycle toilet paper if it would save them money.
2.) They think they should be treated like a big account - Why do the little guys/girls always think they matter more to you than your sanity?
3.) They're cheap - They eat dinner at Rescue Missions because they're too cheap to buy food.
4.) The owner has stayed in business by "nickel and diming" vendors - These are the type of people that clean up at yard sales. "Heh I'll give you a dollar for that dining room set."
5.) They're cheap - They own a Rollex watch they got from "my guy", not an actual Rolex.
6.) The owners usually have this over inflated self worth - These people always think they're the shit. They may not boast, they may not brag, but believe me, they think they're better than any "cheap salesperson". To them you're dirt.

So today, on the recommendation of a fellow customer, I go into this "establishment", for the 3rd time, hoping to set up an appointment with the Director of Nursing. Mind you, this is a place that deals with one of my biggest customers who are recommending that I help educate their staff. I'm not going to receive very many sales from this place, but I'm going there to improve the relationship with on of my largest accounts.

Now keep in mind I have been there on two other occasions, made two phone calls and sent an email to this person to set an appointment. And I have received no response. I walk in for the 3rd time and as usual, there is an empty reception desk in the front room and so I venture towards the back of the office. A man named "Jack" approaches me as if I'm a representative from a government agency trying to shut him down. He looks scared.

"Uh how can I help you sir?", he asks.

" Oh my name is M, and I'm with __________", I respond and hand him my card. He reads the card and his expression changes almost immediately. He looks relieved at first, and then irritated.
"I'm here to see Joan. Michelle from __________recommended I set up an educational luncheon for the staff.", I state matter of factly.

He still looks irritated, " Oh wait here. ", he says and then walks into an office with an large window and an open door. I can see everything happening through the large window. He whispers to a woman, who looks at me then at the card and then at me again.

"Tell him I'm at lunch.", she says to him, clearly audible to me. He comes out of her office, walks over to me, and hands me back my card.

"She's at lunch.", he says.

" Yeah I heard.", is my response. "I'm sorry but ___________, has asked me to come on their behalf to offer an educational luncheon for the staff. Who do I set that up through anyway?", I asked.

"Joan of course.", he answers as if I'm stupid for asking that question.

" I said I'm at lunch." , Joan shouts from her office.

" Okay " I answer loud enough for her to hear.

"She's at lunch", Jack says to me, still looking put out by my visit, "You need to call first. You can't just drop by the office."

" I've been by 2 times before and I have called, and I've left an email. Here's my card just tell her to call me if she feels like it. Otherwise I'll stop wasting both my time and hers. ", I said and this time I was a little irritated.

" I'm at lunch!", Joan shouts again from the office as if I should leave because she's shouting at me now. I ignore her completely and focus on Jack.

" Well, you should call first.", Jack said again repeating himself and sounding like an idiot.

"Right, you said that already and I told you I did call on several occasions. Look I'm only doing this for every one's benefit. So tell her to call if she wants to, otherwise tell her to enjoy her lunch."

He stepped back for minute looked at me, kind of surprised by my response and just said, "Uh okay."

"I'm still eating lunch!", Joan shouted again and I could see directly into her office where she was looking at a computer and nibbling on a carrot stick.

" Got it!", I shouted back and I turned to leave. As I was about to walk out the door, I don't know why I said this, but I mumbled to myself, "I hope you choke on it."

" What was that?", Jack asked me, knowing I had said something sarcastic.

"Have a nice day." I said, smiled and walked out the door.

I never went back, I never called, I never emailed that account again. If a customer isn't willing to return your phone calls, or even set an appointment after 3 tries, they're out. Time for me "Cut bait" and go fishing elsewhere. A salesperson's time is way too valuable to waste.

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment