Like Us on facebook

Search This Blog

Friday, February 10, 2012

Break Out Of Your Daily Routine

Too often I find myself doing the same mundane routine daily.  Get up, feed the dog, watch a snippet of morning news, read newspapers online, check my emails, update my stupid Salesforce numbers, and then get ready for the day.  All this happens in the short span of about an hour.  These are habits that have been effective and have led to success in my career, but they don't get me excited to get out of bed in the morning.  In fact, the other morning I was thinking, "Do I wanna get out of bed?  Why don't I just stay here and call my customers to come and visit me?  Maybe they'll buy more if they think I'm sick?"

And then of course my dog brought me back to reality and looked at me as if to say, "Don't be ridiculous.  Your customers are not going to come to you stupid.  Now let's go for a walk.  It's beautiful outside."

I believe that we create our own problems, our own worries, and our own fears, and sometimes I think we do this out of boredom.  WE HAVE IT WAY TOO EASY.  We aren't in fear of our lives everyday we wake up like people in other countries. We live in a great country, with a high standard of living, and this creates apathy and boredom.  Why do you think kids are playing video games all the time? They're bored, and instead of using their imagination, they have someone else create a fantasy for them on the screen.  We need to get out of our routines!  Break out and change them, so we can infuse fun into the day.  Here are some things you can try to put some excitement back in your day.

1. Start At The End - I normally end my workday with a workout, to relieve stress.  But one morning, I just decided that I wanted to get up and go to the gym to get the adrenaline pumping and start the day on a physical high.  It worked, I felt great all day and was enthusiastic.  I had lots of energy and my customers took notice.  So whatever it may be, reading emails, the newspaper, breakfast, etc.  Change it up and maybe considering doing the first thing last and the last thing first before you head out to the field.

2. Change Your Route When You Commute - If you live where I do, a car is essential, but the commute is often terrible.  One day when I had to head way across town, I got up extra early so I would miss all the traffic and I started to head out but then I changed my mind.  I traveled a completely different way and took a different freeway and side streets to my territory.  And what happened?  I discover a whole new slew of prospects which I didn't even know existed.  It worked out really well for me psychologically and financially.

3. Order Something Different - People are so finicky about their coffee, their food, their lives.  It's so boring.  If you order the same skinny vanilla latte at Starbucks get something different.  Or if you always go to Starbucks, try a different coffee shop and order something you normally wouldn't order.  Something outrageous just to change up your day.   Don't be afraid to stop and smell a different cup of coffee.

4. Honey I Forgot The Kids - Many household have both the mom and dad working and the commute can be tough for both parents.  If your wife or husband normally drops off the kids for school or daycare, offer to take them once in while.  this will give you time to bind with your children and relieve your poor spouse who will appreciate the gesture greatly. Also it will be a good way to start off your morning and it will remind you why your out there selling.  If I have to explain this to you, then you might want to do a self assessment of your priorities.  And please don't forget to pick the kids up in the afternoon too!

5. Alter Your Approach -  A lot of sales people do the same thing day in and day out, week in and week out, and that is boring, boring, boring.  I understand the idea is to "mirror" your prospects but if you see regular customers that gets old real fast.  I was in a hospital last week and I decided on my way up the elevator to sing a song when I came into the office.  It was a song that was stuck in my head and so I just walked in and I was humming it as I entered.  The nurses there recognized the song and soon everyone was singing it , and it just made the call go so much better.  Don't be afraid to be real and change your approach.  People appreciate something different.  They want to look forward to seeing you, and not dread it.

So if you're stuck in rut, and keep doing the same thing everyday, then try some of these tips to break out and have a great day! 

Good luck and good selling!

No comments:

Post a Comment