Like Us on facebook

Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Life Sucks... Get Over It!


In my field we sometimes collaborate with other reps, and so a week ago I met with someone for lunch from another company to help cross sell our services.  It was a rep from the manufacturing side of health care, and I thought, "What the hell?  It can't hurt right?"  Physically it didn't hurt,  but man it was depressing.  It was less of a collaboration and more of a counseling session for the rep.  When I left the lunch, the first thing I wanted to do was get a drink.  As a matter of fact, I wanted to go to a bar and have a couple of drinks.  The meeting was a real downer.  Here I was at over 130% to quota and I'm bummed out after meeting with someone who's not doing so well.  Why?

For a few seconds I was sad, then I was mad, specifically at the rep for ruining my day, and finally I just said to myself, "fuck it. life sucks get over it"  Which is what I should have told the rep, instead of listening to all of those issues.  It's true life does suck, but only if you let it.  I'm am not a power of positive thinking, mind over matter, personal power bullshit kind of person, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna let some person ruin my day. I can be just as miserable a son of a bitch as anyone else, but I hate giving up on anything until I've exhausted every possibility.  I'm not one of those people who say never, ever give up; that's just plain stupid.  There are times when you should give up, especially when there are other options available, and the situation is detrimental to both your physical and mental well being.  However this rep had just started with the company!

So I planned to meet her again and help her out with a list of complaints of my own:

  1. If I'm in a good mood don't fuck it up for me.
  2. If you're in a bad mood, I don't wanna hear about it.  
  3. If you're within my "circle of influence" I will kick your ass out of the circle if you start being negative.
  4. Don't go to the darkside because remember in the movie "Star Wars", the Death Star was destroyed.
  5. It's okay to complain just do it silently.
  6. Watch "My Left Foot" if you want to see what someone can achieve if they just try, and that guy was a miserable bastard too.
  7. If we're in an account don't start talking about cancer, or death, or how shitty our service team is doing.  Talk about bunnies, and rainbows
  8. Stop watching reruns of "Gilligan's Island" because I've got news for you, they never see the mainland.
  9. If you're married, complain to your spouse, not me. If you're not married, I can see why.
  10. Focus on what you can do, not what you can't do.
That last statement for me says it all.  When faced with a challenge or challenges, I try to only focus on what I can do, not on what I cannot do.  Otherwise, I would never get anything done.  In fact, I probably wouldn't leave the house, because there are a lot of things I cannot do: like juggling.   Again, I am not "Professor Positive",  but I do think that despite the fact that life sometimes sucks, a person should always just carry on.  Isn't that why they call life a journey?

I can't wait to see this rep again.  I have my list ready.  Do you?

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment