Like Us on facebook

Search This Blog

Friday, September 5, 2014

Lessons From Your Dog: 7 Canine Tips To Improve Yourself


I love dogs.  I spend a lot of time around them, sometimes volunteering to walk them, babysit them, and I have a dog of my own.  Watching them, teaches me a lot about animal behavior.  Subsequently, as I was walking my dog this morning I had an epiphany.  If I could just simplify my view of things the way a dog does, I might improve the quality of my work and my life.  Dog's have this very simple way of living, and life never seems to get boring for them, or mundane.  They have feelings too and sometimes they get down, but they always seem to bounce back with their tails wagging.  If we all simplify our thoughts and our expectations maybe we can get our own tails wagging as well.  Although I am definitely not going to sniff any one's behind, and I recommend that you follow my lead.   Here are a few tips you can learn from your dog:
  • Everyday Is New - Dogs greet everyday like it is brand new, because to them, it is!  I don't know if they have short term memory loss, but it seems to me that my dog gets up in the morning and there is always something new to be discovered.  We walk the same route every morning, just like we go to the same job everyday, but the difference is that she finds something new along the way.  Each day she looks for something different, and she finds it.  Maybe it's a leftover pizza someone dropped, or some cat poop, or an old piece of furniture somebody has thrown away, but she lives for those moments.  Now I'm not suggesting you search out discarded pizza boxes, or go lay on an old couch, but I would hope that you try to view things a bit differently as you trudge through your workday.  It might make the journey a bit more tolerable, and for some even enjoyable. 
  • Stop And Smell The Roses - I know that this term is overused quite a bit, but it really is a great way to look at life.  We spend so much time rushing, that we really forget to enjoy the beauty that the world has to offer.  A dog does not have as much time as we do on this earth, so they take the time to enjoy every part of their short life.  My dog especially likes flowers and I don't know why but I think she might secretly be a botanist.  If I take a different route on our walk she will always seek out the flowers and sniff them for a long time.  At times, I have to pull her leash a bit to remind her we are on a walk, but she appreciates the short time she has to smell every petal along the way.  
  • Greet Everyone With Enthusiasm- I've noticed that a great deal of people are terrified of dogs.  I'm not sure why but at times when I'm walking my dog I will see people veer off the path in order to avoid her.  However, this doesn't bother her in the slightest, she still wags her tail, and greets them with the same enthusiasm that she offers to people who are actually excited to see her.  You'll never know if she's in a good mood or a bad mood because she's just simply excited to meet you.  She could be having a bad day, maybe a sore foot, and even worse diarrhea, but no one could ever tell.  I took that as a good lesson for me, because at times I let my mood affect the way I greet people, and it would show.  They might say, "Something wrong?" or "You okay today?"  And I realized my mood was dampening their mood as well.  So now I follow my dog's lead and I offer a smile and enthusiasm whenever I'm greeting someone.  It works because they seem excited as well.  
  • Earn Respect -I'm not talking about street cred here, but just simple respect for one another and each other's space.  When observing dogs in a park who are off leash I've noticed that some of them are scared and lash out at other dogs.  Just like people who are in a situation which is unfamiliar, I often observe people who lash out at other people just to make themselves comfortable.  Every meeting I go to where I'm meeting new people, someone almost always feels the need to talk trash about another participant.  Why?  Because they're insecure and scared just like a dog who's new to a park.  In a park, the other dog's sense this and seek to put an unruly dog in it's place, put the dog at ease, or put them out of the pack.  People are no different.  If you want to "play", you have to earn respect, otherwise you'll be just another dog on the outside watching everyone else have all the fun.  It's best to try and be part of the pack, by earning respect.  
  • Practice, Practice, Practice, - My dog is mostly Pointer, but she rarely gets to utilize her canine skills because I'm not a member of the English aristocracy and we never go on fox hunts.  I didn't realize that her breed was commonly used by royals in the hunt for rabbits, birds, and foxes, and unfortunately for here there are not a lot of foxes at the beach.  However, there are a great deal of rabbits, squirrels, and birds which she regularly chases if I give her a long leash.  Although she may not be using her skills in a real hunting situation that doesn't mean she doesn't practice all the time.  Each day she will find some new animal to roust out of it's den.  She never hurts any animal but she practices all the time.  I realize that it's important for me to do this as well because if I hone my skills daily, it will make my job that much easier. I don't chase rabbits, squirrels, or birds, but I do chase down leads.  
  • Be Persistent - Dogs are a lot like people.  They sulk, they get mad, they can be annoying, and they are incredibly persistent.  If they want or need something they will stare at you for minutes or even hours until they get you to do something.  It's funny because you can a dog looking at you, waiting for your reaction, or rather your commitment to help them.  The other day, my dog obviously wanted something so she came over and put her paw on my hand.  I ignored her, so then she came and put her head on my leg, but I pushed her away.  Then she came back again and put her head in my lap, but I brushed her aside.  Finally she went and got her toy and put it in my lap, and I finally got the message.  I got up from my desk, went and played with her for a while, and she was happy.  I thought "If I was as persistent as a dog, I might get a lot more accomplished."  Except, I don't know if staring at a customer for a long time, putting my hand on their hand, or putting my head on their leg is going to get me what I want.  Maybe, it's worth a try though.
  • Leave A Mark - If you observe dogs for a long time, they always leave a mark wherever they have been. Basically, they pee and leave their scent.  That is a valuable lesson, especially for a business professional.  If you attend a meeting, conduct a luncheon, have a conference call, or give a presentation, always be sure to leave your mark.  People do not remember the person that just showed up, however they do remember the person that made an impression.  I'm not insinuating that you should pee after every meeting or presentation, but do something to leave a mark on the people attending so when it comes time to make a decision regarding a promotion, assignment, or a purchase, they remember you. 
I hope this helps you in whatever you do, and if you don't like dogs, I feel sorry for you, because they really are an inspiration.  Have a great day!

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment