Like Us on facebook

Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Politics Will Destroy Your Organization

Copyright: justmeyo / 123RF Stock Photo


That's a pretty bold title for a post isn't it?  I mean, isn't politics a part of what the corporate world is all about? There is always going to be politics.  It's a part of life.  It's about survival.  Look at the television show "Survivor".  It's not always the strongest, smartest, fastest, or the most physically capable that "survives".  Sometimes it's the sneaky, subversive, little bastards that win the prize.

It's funny, I just saw a commercial from my old company while watching "60 minutes", and it reminded me of when I was working there and the office politics that ruined one specific location. Moreover, it derailed the career of the General Manager.  During that time, I truly bled the company colors and it still is a great company with a wonderful training program. Yet even so, politics can still destroy any organization, despite a great corporate culture.  It only takes one bad apple to ruin a bunch, and in the case of my location there was a bucket full of bad apples.  Why?  The boss was promoting an environment of back stabbing and trash talking.  It was truly a study in the dirty art of politics, and for me it was a wake up call that I needed to leave.

I had been brought into the location because their operational numbers were terrible, and the VP felt like they needed veteran leadership to help the new GM.  In our region, they called me "The Janitor" because wherever there was sh#t, I was sent in to clean it up.  (Not my favorite nickname.)

We were having a staff meeting and reviewing forecasts and a simple question came up which was, "Why are we so off on our projections?"

I was the assistant General Manager and running the staff meeting while the boss was at home so I offered a simple and benign answer, "I'm not sure...maybe we might have started with a different projection than corporate?  What matters is how we are going to fix this situation and get back on track.  Right?"  Everyone in the room nodded in agreement. 

That was it.  I answered the question as honestly as I could, and tried to get the staff to focus on how we were going to improve the numbers.  I was not working in that particular location when the team did projections so I had no idea who did the forecasting.  The meeting went well and we came up with a very strategic and traceable plan for the location's success.  End of story...or so I thought.

The next day, I arrived and my boss immediately called me in to his office.

"What's this I hear about me doing the projections incorrectly? ! Did you tell the staff last night I screwed up the projections?"

"What the hell are you talking about?  No I never said anything like that."

"That's not what Anna told me.  She said you thought my projections were not in line with corporate. Brian and Matt said the same thing.  That you said I was wrong on the projections.  What are you trying to pull here?"

"One of the new managers asked me why we were so off our projections.  I told her I wasn't sure and that maybe our forecast was a bit different than corporate.  Then I redirected all of them to focusing on making up the difference.  That was it.  I didn't know who did the projections and I didn't care, I was just trying to get them to focus on finding a way to get back on track.  Nothing more. "

"I also understand from Brian and Matt that you think I play favorites with some of the employees.  Is that true?"

"What the f#$k are you talking about?  I never said anything like that.  What are Brian and Matt forming a little knitting circle to make up stuff about me.  That's is total BS."

" They said you would deny it. Well I've been working with both of them a lot longer than you and to be honest I don't like what I'm hearing.  You've been here just 6 months and all I've heard from the staff is how you undermine my authority."

"Really?  I assume this is coming from Brian, Matt, and Anna?"

"Yes.  Those three have brought issues to my attention. Absolutely.  I feel they're looking out for me and the location."

" Okay.  Let me ask you a question.  Have you ever heard me undermine your authority?"

"Not directly. No."

" Have you every heard from any one else other than Anna, Brian, and Matt about me undermining your authority?"

" Well no. Now that I think about it."

" Okay. Have the numbers improved pretty dramatically in the 6 months I've been at this location?"

" Well yes. But that doesn't mean you're not saying things behind my back."

" To be honest.  All I care about and all I ever care about is performance and the morale of the employees.  If you have 3 managers who you trust and you don't trust me this isn't going to work. Do you trust me? "

" Well let's not get carried away.  I didn't say I trusted them over you. I just said they were bringing things to my attention is all.  I feel like I can trust you ..."

" I think you just answered my question. Weren't Brian and Matt both looking to get this job? "

" Yes, but they weren't ready. What does that have to do with anything?"

" Wow!"  he wasn't very bright and I realized at this point, I couldn't work for such an idiot. "Do I need to spell it out for you?  They obviously are upset they weren't promoted and so they're pushing me out.  Isn't that obvious?"

" Well I don't think they would do that.  Why would they do that?",  he truly was dimwitted.

" So they could get promoted.  It's so blatantly obvious.  And I'm sure that all 3 of them would like to see me gone.  I suppose we have a pretty serious problem.  Well actually, I have a serious problem."

" I'm not so sure it's a problem.  I just can't have you undermining me anymore.  That's all and that's why I called you into the office.  If you have an issue just tell me to my face and not in front of the staff."

" I never have and I never will undermine your authority.  However, I do think you should transfer me to another location."

" What?  Why?  We're doing so well since you came on board.  Let's not blow this out of proportion. I'm sure we can work this out."

" Who are Brian, Matt, and Anna supposed to report to anyway?"

" To you? Why?"

" So by going to you with issues, aren't they bypassing the chain of command?"

" I suppose.  But I have an open door policy.  If they feel uncomfortable coming to you that's an issue."

" I don't think they feel uncomfortable, I think they would rather speak to you about issues and bypass me directly."

" Why?"

" So THEY can undermine my authority.  You have a history with them, and they feel more comfortable coming to you with issues than me, so I think it's best if I transfer to Van Nuys or Whittier. Would you feel better if I left?"

" I don't know if I'd feel better but I think the staff might."

" If you feel more comfortable with them I completely understand.  You've got to pick your own horses. But we should let Joe know that I want a transfer."

" It's too bad, we really were doing so well these past two quarters."

" We were and I'll do my best to help with the transition, but keep in mind I'm the 10th manager who has left this facility in the last year and a half.  You might want to think about that."

" Well some people just don't work well with others."

" Isn't that the truth."

After I transferred, his location's numbers went in the tank and he was fired.  I guess he chose to ride the wrong horse.  Politics are like bacteria.  If you give them a culture to grow in, they'll kill everything in their path...including your organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment