Like Us on facebook

Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Integrity...It's Such A Lonely Word



Copyright: gajus / 123RF Stock Photo

I have read the book "Integrity Selling", and if you haven't, you should check it out!  But I lived it before Ron Willingham even wrote a word. I have been selling for years and my integrity is honestly all I have to sell since there are so many wonderful "systems" in the sales training market.  It is a great book, and wonderfully written, but if you aren't selling with integrity already, you are not a good sales person... Do I really need to add a few more periods?

This week, I had a new CEO contact me regarding a new account which had just signed a service agreement. It was late in the evening but regardless of the time, he called me on my cell phone to break the bad news.

"We don't need your services.  We'll pay youbecause of the contract, but I think what you're selling is way off of what we are trying to do here.  I like the older training systems better. Your system is just too new for me and your company is not really a proven entity." 

And then he hung up the phone.  Didn't even give me a chance to reply. Now if I was a greedy bastard, I would have said,

"Okay fine.  Pay me...we have a contract." 

But all I have is my integrity and he was a bit insulting so I called him back immediately.

"I don't care if you pay us one way or the other, but I think you're missing the picture here.  Did anyone on your staff explain why they chose us? Or how simple our system is to use and how it's much easier to apply in the field?"

"They don't have to explain it.  I read your marketing materials.  Why would I let the reps take control of the selling process. That's a bit stupid.  It'll be anarchy."

Obviously he had not read any of the materials or the follow up process after the initial training.  I doubt he knew anything about our systems.

"Well, it may seem like that at first but why don't we meet. I can explain it and if you don't like what you hear, you can kick my ass out of your office." 

"Does that line actually work with someone in the C suite?"

"I don't know yet.  This is the first time I've tried it on a CEO."

I heard a muted laugh, "Okay, you can come and talk to me but on one condition..."

This time I chuckled a bit. "What's the condition?"

"If I don't like what I hear, we don't pay you."

I was quiet for a long time, "Okay.  That's not really fair, but I feel like you're questioning the integrity of our systems and I feel strongly about maintaining that integrity.  So I can agree to those terms." 

"Is your company's integrity worth that much money?"

"Believe it or not, yes it is.  Can we meet on Friday at 2 pm?"

"Oh you know I'll be in a good mood on Friday afternoon. I get it.  Sure I'll meet with you Friday. You better bring that integrity and your A game."

"Always. Thank you and I'll see you then."

And I hung up the phone. 

Currently it's Tuesday so I don't know if that was a stupid move, but I guess I'll find out.  Wish me luck!

-SFTD

No comments:

Post a Comment