Like Us on facebook

Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Are You In The Right Profession FOR YOU?!


     “Why sales for God’s sake?”  This was my father’s first reaction when I told him that I was going to give up my life as a successful Service Manager, and venture into sales.  He saw it as a demotion, a step down, an end to my successful career.  I saw it as something different.  My perception was that it was “easy money”.  I found out pretty quickly that it is definitely not easy.  It can be “easy money” but it takes a long time, and a lot of experience, before you get to the point where this job is somewhat easy.  Seriously, it is a lot of hard work.  It doesn’t get easy until you’re established and that can take YEARS!

     And I know what you newbies are thinking, “He’s not me.  I’m better than him.  I’m gonna be the best and fast. Hell I’m already the best!”  It’s funny how right out of the gate new reps think they’ve got it down.  Well ask yourself this one question new girl/guy: “Can I handle pressure?”  Because that’s what sales is about: pressure.  Applying pressure, receiving pressure, the pressure of a number hanging over your head AT ALL TIMES.  The pressure to succeed in persuading people to your point of view, hourly, daily, monthly, yearly, knowing you’re only as good as your last sale.  It’s not easy and not everyone can sell.  It’s a unique profession, and one that is learned and earned. 

     So before you read any more posts, make sure YOU WANT TO BE IN SALES.  Don’t give me that ridiculous adage, “I’m good with people”. I hear that all the time in interviews.  “My friends told me I’m good with people so I should try sales.”   Every time I hear that from a candidate I want to lean over the desk and slap them upside the head.  But I can’t do this for obvious legal reasons.  This is an answer from someone who really doesn’t know what they want to do with their career.   A person, who is deferring a life changing choice to someone else.  Do you know who else is good with people: DOGS.  Dogs are great with people, in fact, dogs are better than you are with people.  But I won’t be buying my next car, cell phone, couch, computer, furniture, software, or any other consumable product from a dog.  Hopefully, I’ll be buying it from one of you.  

    If you're floundering in the sales profession and you're not happy, there's nothing wrong with doing something else.  In fact, I would recommend it.  Not everyone can sell, and that for me, is a good thing.

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment