Like Us on facebook

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

"Oh I Forgot We Had An Appointment"



Last week,  I had an appointment set,which had been rescheduled twice, and then the day before the meeting the decision maker sent an email wanting to cancel....AGAIN. WTF? I had a VP flying in for the meeting, and two other sales reps because this was a fairly large account, but they still insisted on cancelling.

In other words, the decision maker was saying to me:

"You're not important enough to meet with me. And you're so insignificant I don't think it's even rude to send you a message at the last second cancelling. Plus I don't care if your VP is flying in to town, and this makes you look bad.  My time is much more important than yours...loser! Oh and I kicked your dog when you weren't looking, and she may die from head trauma."

Okay, maybe I dramatized the part about kicking my dog, but they might as well have kicked me in the teeth.  I can't understand how people can think that it's okay to cancel a meeting in which you have specified in emails that people are flying in to attend.  I was so perturbed I called the decision maker's executive assistant.

"Hello Tracy, this is M.  I just got the email from you that Denise wants to cancel our meeting tomorrow."

"Oh yeah M.  She's sorry but she has some stuff she's really busy with here and it needs to be addressed.  Sorry about that...would you like to reschedule?"

" She is aware my VP is flying in to town specifically for this meeting right?"

" What? I don't think she was aware of that.  Was that in your email?", she obviously had not read my emails even though I copied her in on each and every one.

" Yes it was.  It's been in the last few emails.  I understand she's very busy, it's just I'm not sure we're going to have this opportunity again so it would be great if we could meet tomorrow. Even if it's for just a few minutes."  In other words, I was basically implying that I was pissed off, and this simply was not professional.  I think she got the message.

"Oh wow!  Uh yeah, let me talk to her and I'll call you right back.", she sounded a bit flustered but not angry.  I was still a bit perturbed.  How can people be so inconsiderate?  Well it's simple.  In reality, we are not a resource to them, or they would never cancel a meeting.  Once I get to the point where people want to see me on a regular basis then I know that I've done my job.  Until then, I'm just like any other rep pushing product.

In twenty minutes Tracy called me back. "Uh, so sorry M.  She said that she didn't read all of the emails and that if you have people flying in to meet with her, then she would be happy to sit down with all of you for an hour.  What time was the meeting again?"

"That's great.  Thank you so much Tracy.  It'll be a luncheon at 12.  Shouldn't take too long.  Be in and out in an hour."

I suppose I was more of a resource to the account than I suspected, or maybe they were just tired of me annoying them with phone calls and emails.  Either way,  I'll take the appointment as opposed to throwing a brick through the glass doors of their office which was my alternative plan. 

"You get more from a bear with honey than you do with a brick."  Isn't that the quote?  Or something like that?  Keep in mind that your time is just as important as the client, prospect or customer, and if they cancel and you think that it's an unreasonable request; let them know they're in the wrong.  It will earn you a measure of respect, and let the person know it's unprofessional.  Sales people have feelings too!

Have a great day selling!

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment