Like Us on facebook

Search This Blog

Friday, October 26, 2012

Transparency Is The Best Policy



Two nights ago I was watching a documentary on ESPN about sports agents and how they have changed the face of sports.  It was a fascinating look into the world of sports agents, and not just the famous ones, like Leigh Steinberg.  It portrayed how difficult it is to get started as an agent, how they have to invest thousands and thousands of dollars,early on in an athlete's career, just to get them ready for the draft; any draft.  Most of the documentary followed a struggling agent who was just trying to get his company started, and as I was watching the film I realized why he was struggling.  He was fake.

His entire routine, his sales calls, his needs analysis, were so contrived that I certainly would never have signed with him.  He exemplified what a salesperson should never strive to be, phony.  Even down to his diction, "We want you to be part of our family.  We really look at ourselves as a family here and we want to bring you on board."

Funny, I don't ever remember telling my niece or nephew that I was glad to bring them "on board", instead I mumbled things at them, and held them awkwardly, until their parents took them back for fear I would drop them on their little heads.

The agent's "act" was such bull shit, that I was actually annoyed with him by the end of the film.  And guess what, he lost all his clients.  Why?  He claims that it was because he was betrayed by the athlete.  No, it was because he was full of shit and the athletes and their families saw right through his facade.

One thing I will say about the agent was that he worked hard, very hard, but in the end it didn't work out because he had no substantial relationship with his athletes.  In addition, he didn't seem sincere. They didn't buy him, and in the world of sports they have to buy you, not a brand, not a company, not a product.  He couldn't sell himself, and that has to be a difficult "pill" to swallow.  Here are a few tips for struggling sales reps on how to be more transparent and therefore gain the trust of your clients or customers:

1.) Dress Well But Not Swell - If you come into an account wearing a Rolex, unless your a salesman for the watch company, you aren't going to be well received.  Dress nicely but don't be the best dressed person in the room, because people will see you as a shark.  Someone who is there to take their money so they can buy a new watch.  It may work on "Wall Street" but it doesn't work on Main Street.

I remember interviewing a prospective rep for a job and she was wearing a Cartier watch.  My first impression was that she wasn't going to work.  I was not the hiring manager, so only my input was needed, and I told the manager,"She won't last because she's not going to do the work.  She's never had to work."
He ignored my concerns, hired her, and fired her 9 months later for non performance.  Dress appropriately but don't be a "show off".

2. Be Transparent -  I was in a clinic last week and the nurses and doctors were asking me why I came by so much when sometimes I didn't even have orders.  One of the nurses chimed in, "Because we're closest to his house I bet."  My answer, "Damn right. Why should I drive all over town when one of my best accounts is right here." The Clinical Director said, "Well at least your honest.  I appreciate that."  It was the truth, and it is one of my best accounts, so why should I drive 2 hours to a place where I don't have any business when I can stop in twice a week and pull more orders through at a hospital right down the street. I didn't lie, I didn't feed them a line of BS, I just told the truth, and they appreciated my honesty.

3. Take A Personal Interest In Your Customer - 3 weeks ago, I ran into a nurse who I hadn't seen in a year, at a conference. We talked for a few minutes and I asked how her mom was doing following a car accident that previous year. She said, "You remember that conversation."  I said "Yes, and I remember visiting her in the hospital".  Which I had done, because I felt it was the right thing to do.  The nurse's eyes lit up and she said, "That's right!  You did. She was so thankful and I was too.  I wish more people did stuff like that.  It makes you more human and less like a rep. In fact, I hate our new rep, he's just interested in orders and not in us."

I'm not saying visit every one's mom in the hospital but if you have an opportunity to show your customer you actually care about something other than their business, then do the right thing and reach out to them.  

4. LISTEN To Your Customer - For new sales reps this is especially hard, because you're trying to spew out the Features and Benefits of your products, and not listening to the what the customer is really saying.  Or they throw out an objection and you handle it like a counter puncher and try to bash the objection.

I recall one time I was with a new rep and we sat down with a decision maker and she said, "I've been promoted so I won't be making this decision but I can put you in touch with the new person once I know who it is."

The rep responded, "Well why don't we just go over with you why we're a better fit and then you can tell the new person."

"I won't be involved in the decision at all, so I don't see how it's going to help", she answered.

"Well let's just go over it anyway.  Of course only if you have time.", the rep was now forcing himself on the customer.  Which I didn't see as a positive thing, but I saw a train wreck coming and I just wanted to see it happen.

"I don't really have the time so just contact me in few weeks and I'll let you know who's filled my position."

" Are you sure you don't have just a little time?", I cringed and waited for the trains to collide.  I could hear the air brakes in my head.

Now she was pissed, "To be honest I don't, and to clarify one thing, I won't be involved in the decision making and if I was I wouldn't choose you.  Good day gentlemen.", she said LOUDLY, and she stood up and pointed to the door.

We left, and as we walked out the door the rep said, "What a bitch.  We would have never got that account anyway."  

Some people are just clueless.  But you don't have to be.


Those are 4 pretty good tips for dealing with your customers or prospective customers. Take some good advice and be:

S  tylish but not over dressed
H  onest in the way you conduct yourself
I   nvolved in your customers conversations
T  ransparent in what you are trying to achieve

Of course I' m sure there are some of you who just won't give a SHIT.  Have a good day selling.

-M



No comments:

Post a Comment