Like Us on facebook

Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Cold Calling Is Not Dead


Years ago, and I mean years ago, there was a book written by some guy who was claiming that Cold Calling was dead.  I know, because one of my new reps handed the book to me, and said with great conviction, "This book will change the way you view sales and the business world.  It's brilliant."

First of all whenever someone defines anything as brilliant, I am always skeptical.  Brilliant is a term used to describe a diamond, not a book.  However, I respected her, and I love to read, so I read it, and my response to her was, "This book is relevant but not to our industry.  It has some very salient points but the guy's model does not relate to what we do.  Sorry but it's not going to stop me from requiring you to make cold calls."

"But I hate cold calling!  Did you read the WHOLE book?"

"Yes and I read the other book by the same guy about selling sucks."

"And?"

"And I think that people who scream heretically about stuff always gain a following because we all want the magic pill."

"What the heck are you talking about?"

"Do you remember in that movie the "Matrix" when the guy Morpheus offers Keanu Reeves the red pill or the blue pill?"

"Yeah what does that have to do with anything about cold calling?'

"Well your book is offering you the blue pill where you go to bed dreaming about how much easier your job will be without cold calling, where as I'm offering you the red pill which is the truth.  And the truth is you still have to cold call."

"I like the blue pill better."

"So do, I but that doesn't change the fact that for this job we still have to cold call.  Our customers aren't tech savvy, and many of them don't even have business email addresses.  If you can figure out a way to reach them without cold calling go for it."

" I thought I'd figured out a way to get out of it. I hate cold calling."

" Me too, and I wish you had.  But I don't care how you reach out to a customer it's still a "cold call".  We've had no previous contact with them before this. Right?  If it's via email, facebook, or the phone.  It's still a cold call."

" Are you saying I don't have to call them on the phone?"

" I'm saying that when you're in here for phone block use the phone, computer, social media, whatever means you can to get 5 appointments. But make sure you get those 5 appointments. "

" So cold calling isn't dead?"

" Cold calling is very much alive, it's just we use different ways now to cold call. But the contact is still cold, so try to make it warm if possible."

" How do I do that?"

" You're a smart young woman.  Think about why you would answer an email, phone call, or message on facebook.  Then go from there."

" Oh I get it.  Put myself in the customer's shoes. Wow you're not as dumb as you look."

"  Gee thanks?  Now go make some appointments."

I remember that conversation and the book vividly, because for a moment I thought maybe we don't have to cold call anymore, but we do.  It doesn't matter how you define it, the fact is that cold calling is definitely not dead.  It's more alive than ever!  If you send someone a message via LinkedIn that's a cold call.  If you contact them via twitter or facebook and they've never heard from you before that's a cold call.  If you stop by a doctors office to drop off information, that's a cold call.  Or if you call them on the phone for an appointment it's a cold call. 

Cold calling is not dead...it's just evolved.  Just like Sales has evolved.

Have a great day cold calling!

No comments:

Post a Comment