Like Us on facebook

Search This Blog

Thursday, November 19, 2015

I Am Not A Cheerleader


A long time ago, at a company far, far, away, I was passed over for a promotion.  Why?  Because I was told it didn't seem like I wanted the job. That I wasn't a "cheerleader" for the company or the position...and I guess they were probably right.  I've never been a sales person or manager who was "in your face".  I've never been a high energy guy, instead I've always had a pretty mellow disposition, but I'm still competitive as hell.  In fact, if you ever seen me play a sport, and I mean any sport, you would be scared at how crazy competitive I am.  But in this case, I just wasn't into the interview process.  I figured I had the position sewn up and I was more annoyed than honored that they had to interview me before they promoted me.  What a cocky bastard I was?!

So last week, I ran into the same issue.  I was contacted by a company, and they wanted to speak to me about helping them with their sales process and possibly training their sales representatives.  When I first walked into the offices of the Regional Vice President, I thought for sure it was going to be an easy sale.  He already like what I had to say over the phone, he'd perused the website and saw all that we had the offer, and we had met previously at a conference.  Naturally, I thought the deal was all but done.  I was dead wrong.

Here's how my visit went:

VP: "You have a great list of clients, and you've shown improvement at every company you've worked with, but why should I work with you and not some of your competitors."

Me: "I think you've just answered your own question. You said I have an impressive list of clients and have shown improvement at every company I've worked with.  If you need a list of references I can give them to you.  Is that what you need?"

VP: "No I'll take your word for it. But what makes you so good? You seem very unassuming.  Almost humble.  I need someone who's gonna set my hair on fire! Why should I use your firm as opposed to me sending my people to a Dale Carnegie or a Miller Heiman seminar.  Those companies have been around for years and they have great reputations. So why should I use you guys?"

Me: "Do you want to be like everyone else?  Because if you do, then send your people to Miller Heiman or Dale Carnegie.  Or do you want to be different?  Better yet.  Do you dare to be different? If you want to differentiate yourself than you need to get out of the box.  Not think outside the box but actually get out of the damn box!  That's where my company's at, and that's what we teach.  We don't think outside the box, we LIVE outside the box. So where do you want to be?"

VP: "I want to be different but going with your firm is a big risk.  You're good but I don't know you that well.  Like I said, I need someone to set the world on fire. How will you inspire my team?"

Me: "First of all, I am not a cheerleader.  If you're looking for someone to motivate your team and get you excited, don't come to me.  I am not Tony Robbins. I am not the guy from "Rudy". I am a teacher, a trainer, and I am an entertainer.  I'll keep your people engaged, focused , laughing, and get them to see things differently. But I am not a cheerleader. You said over the phone you wanted something different.  I am here to offer you something different. That's what you want isn't it?"

VP: "It is. Absolutely. I am just afraid your firm might be too different. I need someone to motivate me and my team. Not just be different. "

Me: I chuckled a bit, "Listen, as I said before. I'm not a motivational speaker.  I teach sales leadership and sales techniques. And think about it.  If you need someone to motivate you and the team then maybe you've got the wrong team."

VP: "I've got the right team, but I need them to improve...NOW. So you're not a cheerleader?  You're a teacher? Again why do I need you?"

ME: "I am a teacher.  But more importantly...I'm an innovator.  Do you want a cheerleader or an innovator. A cheerleader did not invent the telephone.  A cheerleader did not develop the iPhone.  A cheerleader did not invent the pacemaker. So do you want to a cheerleader or an innovator?"

VP: "I want an innovator.. Absolutely."

ME: "I am an innovator! Let me teach you and your people how to be innovators as well."

VP: "Okay. Let's do it."

And he shook my hand and we made the deal.  I have never been a "rah rah" guy.  I am low key, smart, hmmm modest, and I inspire people through my actions, not my words. Talk is cheap.  You don't need to be a cheerleader to lead. You don't need to be a cheerleader to develop people.  And you definitely don't need to be a cheerleader to be a trailblazer, a creator, or an innovator.

You just need to be...


No comments:

Post a Comment