Like Us on facebook

Search This Blog

Friday, January 1, 2016

Cherish Your Employees And Enrich Your Life



Copyright: Cole123RF / 123RF Stock Photo

During the holiday season, I receive a lot of cards.  Let me rephrase that, I receive a TON of cards. Many of them from businesses, companies I've helped, many from friends, and a few from people I really care about...employees. The holiday cards I get from accountants, businesses, real estate agents, or insurance brokers are all nice, but the cards I receive from employees are the best! 

Business holiday cards are usually pre-printed with some nice sentiment, but they are rarely hand written, and are usually just signed by the person sending the card.  Subsequently, the personal message is lost to me.  It's almost as if the business or person sending the card is simply fulfilling an obligation, not actually wishing me or my family a wonderful holiday.  However a card from an employee or better yet a former employee is awesome! It means one of two things, either they appreciate the efforts I've made to help them in their careers, or they are sucking up to me.  I don't expect a card from any employee, but if they have taken the time to buy me a card, and fill it out, then I should cherish every one of those sentiments.  Even if they're just "blowing smoke".  Why?  Because they thought of me.  They took the time to write something personal and stuff it in an envelope and mail it, or stick it in my mailbox, and that is priceless.

This year I received a card from a person whom I had mentored over 10 years ago.  I was leafing through an old Rolodex, and for those of you under 30 you will have know idea what the hell I'm talking about, and I came across his address and sent him a card.  When I returned from my holiday I found a card from him in my mail box, and I was truly touched by the sentiment:

"Hi_____: It was a great pleasure for me to receive your card.  It completed my day to hear from somebody I have great respect and gratitude for. You are, by far, the best boss I have ever had in my professional career.  I want to wish you and yours all the blessings and a Happy 2016. Loads of thanks!"

If you were to read this passage as a curmudgeon like myself, you might think, "well it's not that big of a deal, and you did send him a card first."  However, keep in mind, that he didn't have to reply, and he most certainly did not have to tell me I was the best boss he ever had.  I was not expecting him to reply, but he did and he made my day that much brighter.

Cherish your employees, both present and past, and they'll make your life that much fuller.  He may not have changed the world, but he sure put a dent in my universe...and for that I'm thankful.

Have a great New Year!



No comments:

Post a Comment