Like Us on facebook

Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Leadership Doesn't Come From A Book



Copyright: tashatuvango / 123RF Stock Photo

I have an acquaintance who just became a sales manager.  He's as green as they come, but like all people who have been successful sales reps, they know everything already about leading people...or they think they do. Why?

Because I asked him, "What are you planning to do with your new team?"

"What do you mean do?  I'm gonna lead them! I got this great idea from this military book on how to lead people.  It's totally cool.". At least he was enthusiastic about his new job.

"Well that's good. It's always good to learn new ways to do things. I hope that works out for you." In my mind I was thinking, "He is TOTALLY gonna blow it!"

" Oh it totally will, totally.  I got this. This stuff comes straight from a navy SEAL so it's gotta be good.  Right?", he said.  Almost trying to convince himself as much as me.

" Oh I agree. SEALS definitely understand leadership. Did your company give you a mentor?", I asked.

" Naw. I don't need a mentor.  That's why I'm the boss now.  If I needed a mentor they'd never have made me the manager.  I'm a born leader, why do I need a mentor?"

He reached into the backpack he was carrying, and pulled out a book. "My mentor is right here in this little book.  I got all the mentoring I need.". He said pointing to the book and he smiled, but not a good smile, more like a grimace.  As if he had heartburn or gas.

"Good luck with that.".  I said and smiled, knowing full well he was screwed. I could have offered my advice, but I knew he wouldn't have taken it.  Some people have to learn the hard way.

Leadership doesn't come from a book.  It comes from your heart.

SFTD



No comments:

Post a Comment