Like Us on facebook

Search This Blog

Monday, December 11, 2017

Drop The "Corporate Speak"


Copyright: happystock / 123RF Stock Photo

Today, I spoke to a regional manager for over an hour and I still don't know where he stands as far as his messaging or what he's like as a person.  For sixty minutes I heard nothing but corporate speak.

"I'm really a player's coach"
"I get the best out of my people and they get the best out of me."
"I'm really just here to help better support my team."
"I just want to know what I can do to better help support everyone."
"I don't want to just talk for an hour, I want people to be engaged."
"I don't micro manage but I do hold people accountable for their activity."
"It's not about me. It's about my people."
"I understand that people need to balance work with family but it's work that supports our family."
"I want small wins to lead us to great victories."
"Passion fuels life and work."

After one hour, I finally just had to say to him,  "Can we just talk? I don't want to hear any more corporate speak.  Let's just cut through the corporate colloquialisms.  Talk to me straight.  All these phrases are well and good but I want to know who you are and what you want. "

"I want what's best for my team."

"Really?  What does that mean?  In simple terms, and don't use a phrase from a successories poster."

I heard him pause for a moment. "I want them to be successful."

"You've said that at least 5 times in the last hour.  Why do you want them to be successful?"

"So that I'll be successful?", he seemed to be searching for another corporate phrase.  "Isn't that what it's all about?"

"Well yes and no.  But now we're getting somewhere.  Why do you want to be successful."

"Because success is the measure of a man!"

"Really?  This is not a pep rally dude.  We're just talking about training and what you and your team need to be successful. But really why do you want to be successful?  On a personal level, not on a corporate level. Tell me personally what is motivating you."

"My wife is pregnant.  It's our third kid and I really want to be help continue to support my family. I want the best for them."

"Bingo! Hey there's a real person on the line.  Thank you. That's how you need to relate to your team.  On a personal and professional level.  Talk to them...like a person."

"It's hard for me to open up, I don't like to get to close with people in case I need to fire them."

"Okay, that I understand.  I've been there, but if you're always using corporate phrases they won't know who you are.  Plus that gets old really fast. It's important they know who you are.  You want to inspire them personally and professionally.  I'm not saying tell them your deepest darkest secrets but just try to relate.  Talk to them like you would anyone else outside of work. "

"You mean share stuff.  Like personal stuff?"

"Yes like personal stuff.  How old are your kids?"

"Meghan is four and Jeff is eight."

"How hard was that?"

"Not too hard. But again, I don't want to share too much because if I fire them I'll feel bad."

"Let's just focus on how you're going to inspire them not how you're going to fire them."

"You're starting to sound like me."

"Dammit!"

I heard him chuckled a bit on the other line, "Gotcha!"

I laughed too and then responded, "Just remember you're dealing with people and they want to be lead by a person not a corporate robot, so talk to them without all the cliches and I think you'll garner a lot more engagement and respect."

"Work smarter not harder!"

"Oh for crying out loud!", I shouted and he just laughed.

" I got it.  Drop the corporate speak.  Good advice."

" Thank you. Thank you."

SFTD



No comments:

Post a Comment