Like Us on facebook

Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

The Grinch Who Stole Vacation Time...



Two days ago,  I got a call from a friend who just wanted to wish me a happy holiday, and to catch up on how my family and his family were fairing.  I told him I was enjoying my time off and asked how he was enjoying his annual trip to visit his parents and siblings.  Every year, he would make a trip back to the Northeast to stay for a week and visit with his elderly parents.  However he advised me that his company told him no one was permitted time off this holiday season unless the President of Sales signed off on request.  He submitted a request for vacation time but was denied. I was appalled.

"Are you below quota or something?"

"Nope I'm at 110%."

"Are you in trouble?  Did you receive a poor performance review?"

"Nope.  I was above expectations.  In fact, I got a raise!"

"What's with the humbug?  Is Scrooge running your company?"

"Could be?  No. Unfortunately, we have a new President of Sales.  We nicknamed him 'The Grinch' "

"Well are you out of vacation time or something?"

"And again the answer is no, I save time every year for this trip.  Apparently now it's frowned upon to enjoy your holiday. I don't know what this guy was thinking, but I'm going to start looking for another job."

"What the hell is wrong with this dude?  That's sends a lousy message to the field.  It's not like you're delivering packages or something. You're not servicing customers are you? That doesn't make any sense."

"I know, I know.  No one is happy about it.  Believe me.  I think half the field is now looking for another job."

"Really? Or are you just exaggerating?"

"No, I'm not making this up.  Two regional managers have left already."

"No kidding. Well apparently that President is giving himself a lump of coal this holiday season."

"Oh no!  He made it clear that 'only the strong will survive', and that he's going to 'weed out the wimps, so that we'll have a sales organization we can be proud to be a part of.' "

"I guess that doesn't include people like you?"

"Nope, I've only been to Presidents Club 5 times out of the last 8 years."

"Well if you were really good it would have been 8 or 8!", I said and laughed.

"Piss off! Why don't you hire me?"

"You don't like what I do.  I seem to remember you saying it was as much fun as watching grass grow?"

"Good point, but anything beats working for a Grinch."

"Ya know what?  I may not hire you, but I'll certainly help you find a company that'll appreciate you."

"Let's do it."

"I feel like my heart just grew ten times today!"

"I doubt it, but let's hope the Grinch will learn his lesson."

"I doubt it.  Some people are just born jerks."

"You sound like you have experience in that area.", and this time he laughed, pretty loudly.

"Thank you for the holiday sentiment."

"Happy holidays! Gotta go, the Grinch is calling me."
 
"Seriously?  It's 6 O'clock on Christmas Eve?"

"I told you he's a mean one...Mr Grinch. Call me in the New Year!", he said and hung up the phone.

Let's hope that many of you are enjoying some valuable time off with friends and family and The Grinch didn't steal your vacation time...

Have a joyous holiday season!

SFTD 


No comments:

Post a Comment