Like Us on facebook

Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Doctor/Customer Profiles: Doctor Nice


We have all dealt with different types of personalities.  If you're selling auto parts you deal with douche bag owners who want to save a nickel on everything.  They're easy to read, all they give a damn about is price,  or if you're selling restaurant supplies, you deal with grumpy owners who think everyone is trying to rip them off.  Again, no problem figuring these people out, you save them a few cents and they're happy. And if you're in health care, it's the doctors who can be a major problem...,or an opportunity. The docs know they wield some power, so they often try to let you know,"who's your daddy/mommy". In the next few posts, I'll analyze each doctor/customer type I've encountered in last 15 years of selling:

1. Doctor Nice - What I find amusing is that personally I like these types of people, but speaking on a professional basis, they're so hard to deal with, because they want to make everyone happy.  If you were analyzing personality types they would be called amiable, sociable, or whatever the label, but to me they can be as much of a pain in the ass, as a Doctor Dickhead.  Dr. Nice lives in an altered reality of the shows "The Bachelor" and "The Bachelorette". Where everyone is trying to get their attention and they want to be nice to everyone, and see where the relationship goes.  That's wonderful for them, but all you really wish for is Dr. Nice to make up their damn mind and pick YOU! And only you of course. You don't want to be part of a polygamist cult, or something strange like "Sister Wives".

Generally these doctors will be very sociable, because this is the type of person that they are. They have awesome bedside manner, and can speak to you about anything from sports, to fashion, to cardiac catheters.  They want to be loved by everyone, and this is the problem.  You want them to tell you "there can only be one", but it's not gonna happen...sorry!  When I encounter a Dr. Nice, I usually talk about everything but my product, and try to develop a stronger relationship than the other reps whom I am competing with for the doctor's attention.  In fact, it's almost like I am on "The Bachelorette", because I feel like I only have so much time to get this doctor to "love" my product.

Most of the time these doctors are so great, that they have some other cause which they support that you can get behind as a rep.  Maybe it's Make A Wish Foundation, or Animal Shelters, or Save A Limb, but you need to work on fostering a more personal relationship with them in order to secure more business.  It's not like the old days when you could literally "buy" a doctors business, we have to be more involved with the doctors personally, in order to win them over.

Here are some characteristics of a Dr. Nice:


  • Extremely amiable, will see you most of the time, even when they are busy.
  • Pictures all over the walls of their hobbies, their interests, their families, and their accomplishments.
  • Sociable with all reps, in fact they introduce you to the competition if you run into them in the hallway.  
  • They have "Rodney King tendencies", meaning they want everyone to get along.
  • Most of the time they have a cause they support, be it a cancer foundation, save the rain forest, feed the children, etc.
  • They want you to like them. No they want you to love them.  They need acceptance from EVERYONE.
  • They're "wish washy".  They will tell you they like your product so they don't hurt your feelings and then they'll order someone else's.
  • They act like a 23 year old bachelor.  They can't commit  to anyone. 


Last year, I had a Dr. Nice in one of my clinics and I asked him point blank, "Doc, why are you not using my product for all your needs?"

He answered, "Well let's not upset the apple cart.  Your product and Susan's and Mark's all function pretty similarly in the patients. And you all have clinical evidence to support it.  So I just want to keep everyone happy and heal my patients."

"What if I were to tell you that Susan's company and Mark's company were founded by former Nazi's?  What would you say to that?", was my planned response but instead I decided to take a lighter road to win his business. 


"Okay doctor.  I don't want you to have to choose sides, but in your professional opinion which product heals the patients faster?", is what I actually said to him.


"Well your product does, but not by that much.  Maybe a day or two depending on the patient.  And in some cases their product works better.  It depends.  But overall yours is more effective."


"Okay.  Well then maybe you might wanna use our product a few more times than theirs, just for the benefit of the patient.  Not me.  For the patient. I know you wanna keep everyone happy."


"Good point.  I'll keep that in mind M.  Hey, how's that dog of yours?", he said changing the subject  in order to avoid my focus on the business.


"Good.  Thanks. We have a charity walk for dogs next weekend.  You should bring Rose and the family, it's for a good cause."

"You know I have an animal rescue that I work with in the area.  Did you know that?"

"Yes, we talked about it before. In fact you mention it every time I stop by.  You're like a rep yourself."

He chuckled, "Well it's something I feel very strongly about.  These poor dogs need homes."


"I know doc.  In fact, I think you wanted me to volunteer a couple days a month. ", I said and I wondered what he was thinking. 

He laughed, "Still waiting for you to volunteer.  It's only a couple days and really helps out the animals.  We need responsible volunteers.  Some of the ones we get aren't all that punctual. What do you think? It's for a good cause?"

"Who's selling who here doc?", I said and then laughed. I thought about it for a moment, and then said, "I'll do it. It'll be good for me."

He smiled, "Great!" he said and shook my hand. "Check with Rose and she'll let you know what days we could use you. I really appreciate this."

"No problem doc.  Happy to do it.", I said, yet honestly I really wasn't that happy.  But I figured it was a way to strengthen our relationship, get to know him better, and help some dogs out in the process.

"Good, and I'll be happy to order a little MORE of your product.", he said, smiled, and headed back into an examination room.

I was not expecting that reaction at all! With Dr. Nice, it's all about the relationship.  Follow up on their causes, their beliefs, and their personal lives.  If you can help them out, do it! And perhaps maybe  they'll order more from you.

Good luck and good selling

-M


No comments:

Post a Comment