Like Us on facebook

Search This Blog

Monday, July 9, 2012

Who The Hell Are You?


Disrespect is something I cannot tolerate from anybody, whether it's a clerk in a store, a person walking down the street glaring at me, a doctor not giving me the time of day, or the owner of a business blowing me off like he's/she's the president of the UN and he/she has a full schedule.  It's just improper behavior and it's not how I was raised. Think of all the times people are so focused on their little circle of influence that they ignore you, and won't even grant you the courtesy of a "hello".
My response to people who show a lack of respect, "Who the hell are you?"

Well, not in those exact words,but I find that if someone is disrespectful, that behavior needs to be addressed.  If not, they will never respect you and never pay attention to what you have to offer.  So here's a little trick that I use, when a doctor, business owner, nurse, janitor, or anyone is not polite.  I flip the situation on them.  In other words, I no longer act like a sales rep, but I propose that I am a potential customer.  Here'a a perfect example:

Last week, I was in a clinic talking the same old crap, to the same old grumpy lady in the front desk, and asking if I could speak to clinic manager.  Here's how the conversation went.

"Good morning Tina.  How are you today?"
"Yeah, yeah, what are you selling today?", she said with what look to me like a 2 day old beard.  I wasn't really sure what Tina was, but I was assuming by the name, she was a woman.
"You're always so cheerful in the morning Tina. Same stuff I was selling before. But I do need to speak to Sonia today."
"She's busy.", she said and just then Sonia walked by with a cup of coffee and waved at me.
"She doesn't look terribly busy can you check with her?"
"I can. But I told you she's busy.  What's this about?"she asked, while I tried to ignore the wart just above her eye.  It looked painfully large and menacing.
"I have a patient I want to refer to the clinic."
"What?" , she said and her face changed and all of the sudden the "shoe" was on the other foot.
"I said I have a patient I want to refer to the clinic.  An HBO patient."
"Really?" , she looked shocked.  Her face relaxed and her wart, which was once menacing, now looked like just another giant wart above a burly woman's eyebrow.
"Yes really." , I said very matter of factly.
"Wait a second, I'll see if she's busy.", she snapped and got up from behind her desk and went looking for the clinic manager.  Five minutes later I was sitting down with Sonia and discussing a patient I had ran into at a dialysis clinic with an ulcer that needed treating.  The clinic manager who had been nice but still had not thrown any business my way, was very appreciative. 
"I didn't know you went into those types of clinics.", she said,   We should pair up on some calls."
" For sure just so long as we're helping one another, I can bring you in and introduce you to my contacts.'
"Great!  Oh I think we have an order for you guys.  You work with Health___ right?"
" Yep."
It was really that simple.  Not all calls will go this way, but it was worth the effort.

    Keep in mind that you may be a sales rep, but there are times when you may just be that business, clinic, or counter person's next customer.  If you're having trouble with a particular account, try flipping roles with the prospect and you may earn the respect you deserve.  Have a good day selling!

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment